Episode 129 of the Institute of Performance Nutrition's "We Do Science" podcast! In this episode, I (Laurent Bannock) discuss "Protein Quality and the Food Matrix" with Dr Nick Burd PhD (Department of Kinesiology and Community Health, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, USA).
Discussion Topics Include:
- Defining protein & diet quality
- Defining optimal vs recommended intakes for protein
- Reductionism & protein research
- The Food matrix: A wholistic view of protein and exercise interactions and why whole protein is more than just the sum of its parts!
- Why a "food-first" approach to post-exercise protein intake will be beneficial for both the skeletal muscle adaptive response and diet quality for most people
Key Paper(s) Discussed / Referred to:
Related Podcast Episodes: